The memorial site at the location of the Natzweiler camp exists since 1960; it was expanded and remodelled in 2005.
It consists of three parts: the “lower camp” at the former hotel Struthof, where prisoners were initially housed. Later a small gas chamber for human experimentation was installed there. The actual camp, which was built into the steep slope in 1941-43, is well preserved. Original buildings like the cell tract and crematorium provide a sense of the daily horror. The upper area consists of the camp museum with the permanent exhibition, the monument of the “stone flame” and the honour cemetery.
The Centre Européen du Résistant Déporté (CERD), which was built above the “potato cellar” integrates Natzweiler into the framework of the history of European dictatorship and resistance. Next to it are a cafeteria and book store.
The third part is formed by the quarry, which is on a higher level and freely accessible.
Almost 200,000 people visit the site every year. Guided tours and pedagogic workshops are mostly offered in French, but there is a multilingual and rather informative website.
In order to perform this action you have to login